St. Anne`s Lutheran Church

St. Anne’s Lutheran Church is one of the largest and certainly the oldest Church in Liepaja. Spellbinding Gothic style façade attracts a sight of every passerby. Even more remarkable is an interior of the Church. Dark wooden seats are pointed into an outstanding three levels wooden altar embellished with wooden figures of the Saints’. The sound of the third largest organs in Latvia captives hearing of believers gathered in this place to look for peace with God and themselves.

Liepaja St. Anne’s Lutheran Church is the oldest church in Liepaja. First written references about this church were found in documents dated in 1508. Initially wooden St. Anne’s Church was built by the Master of Livonian Order and was located elsewhere in Liepaja. Construction works of the wooden church were finished in the end of the 16th century.

Wooden buildings were never reliable concerning fire, lightening, strong winds and other natural forces, so, in the 17th century, the wooden church was bordered with brick walls, the tower was raised up and the majestic baroque style hand made wooden altar of 9.7 meter height, and 5.8 meter width was projected and built by Nicholas Sofrensa. The Church had 24 axles, arches and columns that were painted with motives of biblical stories. However, the construction of the Church wasn’t reliable and during 17th, 18th and 19th centuries the building was several times renewed, rebuilt and renovated. In the end of the 19th century city architect MP Berchi order to rebuild the tower of the Church. Instead of the old one, on the base of the old building, almost 60-meter high tower was raised up and St. Anne’s Church became the highest building in Liepaja. In the end of 19th century master Karl Hermann designed large organs - the owner of a majestic sound. In 1913, leaded by famous Latvian composer Alfreds Kalnins, the company Walker built the organs, which became third largest organs in Latvia after the ones in Liepaja Holly Trinity Cathedral and in Riga’s Dome Cathedral.

Liepaja is the third largest city in Latvia. Situated on the seashore of Baltic Sea, Liepaja is particularly beloved by tourists both locals and foreigners. St. Anne’s Church is one of the most popular sightseeing points in the city. Long history stage by stage created a majestic house of God for both - spirits of believers and eyes and ears of city tourists. St. Anne’s Church worships are served every day, on Sundays there is an open Sunday school for children operating, on Saturdays youth of Liepaja gathers together and has discussions, lectures, picnics, night walks and etc. The Church also has a library of spiritual literature that is open on Thursdays from 5 PM until 9 PM. Pride of the church  is also a choir “Scholas” performances of which can be heard every Friday at 8 PM. Moreover, you are welcome to climb up the tower of the Church and to admire the bird-eye view of the beautiful Liepaja city.

 

Location
Javascript is required to view this map.